The Juice Diet is toughed by magazines and newspapers as being used by celebrities such as Kate Middleton, Pauline Quirke, Cheryl Cole, Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna and Pamela Anderson, it’s an impressive list touted around by marketers, to make people think “oh they look thin, I can too with the juice diet”, but as with everything does it really help you lose weight?
The truth is Yes it does, but there is a big however… but first how does it help you lose weight?
Firstly just like any vegetable or fruit, it contains vitamins, for example a juice consisting of watermelon and cranberries, is full of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), and studies such as that of the 2007 A&M University published “Journal of Nutrition” demonstrated that amino acids present in watermelon enhanced metabolism, limiting fat accumulation.
But wait before you go rushing off to your nearest supermarket to buy watermelon and cranberry juice, something most people don’t consider is that commercial fruit juice, such as that sold in supermarkets, contains tons of added sugar, salt, additives and other un-natural chemicals which actually makes fruit juice very unhealthy, even supposedly healthy smoothies such as innocent smoothies are unhealthy, since one average glass of innocent is your daily recommended daily intake of sugars etc…
So what juice is healthy?
The answer can only be Fresh squeezed juice, or juice made from non-starchy vegtables, smoothies are actually better than juice in general as they contain more fibre, etc.
Personally I don’t drink any type of juice, I just drink tap water, along with a balanced diet, however that’s just me when it comes to juicing there is nothing wrong with it as long as you don’t do it in the fad diet way namely only drink juice, since that would actually have the opposite effect and cause the starvation response which I mentioned in my Avoid ALL Low Calorie Diets post.
Drinking juice alongside a balanced diet, consisting of the correct nutrition and exercise will do you no harm, although you will likely notice better results by sticking to water, this being said nutrition and exercise are the most important components.
In order to do that you need to combine the below 7 simple rules, with other posts on this site such as Top 5 Abs Exercises For Men And Women and Why Most People Fail to Lose Weight or Get Abs then you will lose fat, and tone up.
7 Simple Rules:
- Eat Breakfast –This is important because it provides energy, fills you up, and is a good way to start the day off, personally I usually have Weetabix, or shredded wheat.
- Eat Every 3 Hours – I do this by having breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, which results in a feeling of being fuller which results in less Cravings, I also try and eat at fixed times every day, as this conditions your body to get hungry at those fixed times, e.g. if you eat breakfast at 8am, you would have your shack at 11am and so on.
- Eat Protein with Every Meal- This is important because protein build and maintain muscle, while at the same time aiding fat loss. Research has suggested you should eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body-weight e.g. if you weight 200lbs, you should eat 200g/day, foods such as Beef, Chicken, Tuna, Eggs or even Whey are all excellent protein wise.
- Eat Fruits & Veggies with Every Meal – Generally speaking fruit is low calorie, full of vitamins, antioxidants and fiber, I have throurally covered this in my Top 4 Best Fruits For Weight Loss and Top 10 Best Vegetables For Weight Loss articles.
- Limit Your Fat Consumption Healthy Fats ONLY – Unlike popular opinion that fats are bad, the truth is only artificial fats such as trans fats, are bad, other natural fats aid weight loss and general health, a brief breakdown of the categories would look something like the below:
- Healthy Saturated Fats – Eggs, Butter, Chicken etc. these boost testosterone.
- Healthy Monounsaturated Fats – Nuts, extra virgin olive oil, etc., these help guard against heart disease.
- Healthy Polyunsaturated Fats – Fish oil etc. these help promote fat loss, increase testosterone levels and decrease inflammation.
- Drink Pure Water – It’s fine to drink juice sometimes but pure water, aids muscle recovery and dehydration prevention, and therefore is paramount too.
- Stick to 90-10, The different between 90% healthy eating and 100% is insignificant, meaning it is actually better in many respects to eat healthy Sunday-Friday, then have a Cheat day on Saturday, or any day, that’s just the way I do it, the reason I say it’s better is it makes you more likely to stick to your healthy diet, since you can look forward to Saturday.
Example Diet Using The Above 7 Simple Rules:
- Breakfast: Omelette
- Snack: Nuts
- Lunch: Tuna Sandwich
- Snack: Banana
- Dinner: Beef, with tomatoes, mushrooms etc.
- Snack: Cottage cheese, salad and berries.